Our Platinum LEED Facility
Fifth Town is also Canada’s only LEED certified dairy. We are also the first Platinum LEED manufacturing facility in Canada across all industries.
Our green facility includes:
- Subterranean cheese aging caves
- 403 m2 building is a 12-ton water-to-water-to-ground heat pump system
- 9.4 m2 Solar/photovoltaic panels
- 30 ft/ 1.8kW wind turbine
- 3 pond bio-wetland system for treating whey and waste water
- 10 000L rain cistern for non potable water use
- Packaging made from recycled plastics or bio plastics where possible
- (Re) Source Tasting Pavilion designed and constructed from left over dairy construction materials.
What is LEED anyway?
The Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Canada Rating Systems are promoted by the Canada Green Building Council to encourage and facilitate the development of more sustainable buildings. Projects aiming for LEED certification are evaluated agains five environmental categories including:
- Sustainable Sites
- Water Efficiency
- Energy and Atmosphere
- Materials and Resources
- Indoor Environmental Quality
Fifth Town was recognized as platinum, the highest level.